Thoughts On Reading.

3985 Views 0 Comment

reading

Ebooks vs. Paper book.

When I bought an iPad, my main reason was for it to serve as an e-book reader since there are some hard to find books that I want to read and are only available electronically. But even after reading it via iPad, I still scour the malls to get myself a hard copy of the book. Friends who have been in my room have asked me one too many times: “You read so much, you have so many books. Why don’t you buy a Kindle instead? Doesn’t it make more sense to have all of them in one gadget?”

I understand the practicality and convenience, but personally, it just doesn’t appeal to me. Here’s why:

1. Paper books doesn’t cause eye strain. As a near-sighted person, eye strain is pretty common especially since I am in front of the computer every single day. Reading a book gives me that relaxing feeling that I don’t get when I am in front of an electronic device.

2. I like the smell of books. There are few things more gratifying to me than opening a new book and breathing that new-book scent in. Or opening an old book and getting a whiff of that amazing old book smell. It’s magical.

3. It gives me the feeling of accomplishment. Looking at my overstacked bookshelves and marveling to myself that I’ve read them all, at least once, makes me feel proud. Somehow it makes me feel wiser (even though most of them are novels) and that, through reading, I’ve lived these hundreds of lives that I would not have experienced otherwise. For those of us with neither the time nor money to go out and travel and have adventures, books are the closest we’ll ever come.

Why I read (and why you should too).

Just recently, a random tweet caught my eye from a friend, “Nakakatamad magbasa, I will wait for the movie to come out nalang.” (Referring to the Fifty Shades of Grey Trilogy). Being a bookworm myself, I got a bit weirded out. I guess one thing that never fails to surprise me is when people tell me that they don’t read. In my head I always wonder, “How come?!” I mean, how can you cope with all the difficult things life throws at you if you can’t hide away in a book?

Some will say music or movies, and while that maybe partly true, there are times when a movie or a certain song can just magnify all your feelings and make it even worse. (How many of us have shed a tear over a song played on the radio or a chick-flick movie because you can totally relate to it?)

But never books. When life feels like it’s all getting too much, having a book in hand even for a few hours can really make a difference. It allows me to enter a world that isn’t mine, effectively tuning out the random thoughts in my head. I don’t know about the others, but when I’ve got too much stress going on in my life, books form a welcome oasis where I can completely escape my world and consume someone else’s for as long as I want. Watching movies or television is entertaining, but it’s not the same as books where you can drown yourself in words and make them come to life in your head.

It’s an escape. I can check out of my life for a while and check into someone else’s. I can, through my imagination, be someone else and, if I’m lucky, actually have a clear resolution at the end. I can actually win.

Real life makes no such promises.

0 Comments
  • Kat

Hi Pao!

We're on the same boat, I cheat too esp when I go out of town and it's impractical to carry all my books around! And yeah, the ebook format on iPad is superb, love it so much! But I still wouldn't trade paperback for it, there's something about the smell that is so addicting for me. Lol

Thanks for checking my blog!

Kat 🙂

• Paotato

Hi Kat! Nice entries! 🙂 As a fellow bookworm…nyahaha! I couldn't agree more with #1. When I discovered ebooks 3-4 years ago I was so happy that I can't wait to put my whole Palahniuk, Murakami, Clancy collection in 1 gadget. Geeky as it sounds, I'm still proud. nyahaha, I started reading them in my laptop, then learned how to put them to a smart phone, to iPhone, iPod then iPad. But too much afterdark backlight sessions had taken quite a toll on my eyes. Good thing I was able to prevent further damage to my eyesight but as a filmmaker, I have to stare at computer monitors and camera lcd almost 13 hours everyday, and our eyes can only take so much beating. to cut this short, I made a very painful but gratifying decision… and that is to go back to paperbacks! haha!

sometimes I still cheat, my books are now in my iPod touch, for some quick reading when shooting out of town. 😀 and btw, the display on the new iPad is superb! the pages looks like a real paper but still it won't give you that book smell that you like. 😛

-pao

• Kat

I know!!! My books are one of my prized possessions. Sometimes, friends borrow my books and forget to return them, and I end up buying another copy just bec I like having them in my shelf. 🙂

• Edward

Your Welcome Kat. You may want to hold on that book your reading or for every book that you have bought. One day those things are hard to find. On some places, bookstores are being closed down one by one and it may be hard or even impossible to get them anymore. And usually the good ones are already taken 🙂

• Kat

"Simple things sometimes is where happiness is." — I totally agree. 🙂 Thanks for checking my blog 🙂

• Edward

Hi Kat
    I agree. In this world full of gadgets, low-tech sometimes is better. I understand that in life there is a lot of stress. Everyday is always a challenge and when you thought that you got things figured out, it usually turns out to be — well something else. For most teens, its cool to have a brand new S3 or the newest Alienware and customize it to the fullest but later on in life what counts are things that will still be there no matter who you become or whether you pass or fail. Its like the book that you now like. It surpasses the test of time. Its nice to read your blog not because you have found a new hobby to escape from life but rather your starting to see things differently that may lead you eventually to a place where you may not need to go somewhere else. Simple things sometimes is where happiness is.

• Bluejellybeans

😉

• Tom Baker

I will try but my own imagination keeps me occupied enough now.

• Kat

Hey Tom!

I know! Juggling between work and school really eats up my blogging time and social life, it sucks! Anyway, you should try reading fiction every once in a while and let your imagination enter a different world, it's a rewarding experience. 😉

• Tom Baker

Hey Kat! I could care less what you write about it was just good to see a new post from you! I wish I took the time to read. If reading blogs counts, I read a lot! Reading does increase your vocabulary so I should do it for that reason alone.

• Kat

Yeah maybe it's the geek in me too that prompted me to get a tablet even though I like paper books a lot better than ebook. Hahaha! And yeah, I used to hoard at Booksale when I was a student. Now that I have purchasing powers, I can buy mainstream novels now. Lol

• Kat

I didn't know that about Kindle that's why I opted for iPad, had I known about it I might've bought that instead, a lot cheaper. Hahaha!

• Bluejellybeans

Hi Kat!
    I agree with most of your "whys", I love to read and I always have at least one book "in progress", some are in paper (like now) but lately many in my Kindle. It is a great invention and is way better for reading than the ipad because it doesn't have back light, so your eyes won’t pay the price… But talking about paper books, you are totally right about the smell, is marvelous 😉

• theepicjar

What I look for in books is the pre owned stuff. Which is why you'll prolly find me more in Booksale or Filbars than National or Fully Booked.

I'm still saving up for a tablet though. Because I'm a geek that way.

• Kat

If only ebook readers give that kind of smell too! :p

• deirdremarie

I totally agree with number 2!

• Kat

You should! It widens your vocabulary too.. 🙂

• potsquared

Gusto ko ring maging mahilig magbasa… I am trying…